Wednesday, December 31, 2014

an experience taking the Delhi Metro

An experience riding the Delhi metro I generally do not take the metro ride but this time by close of year end planned to take the metro and experience it. Sharing my experiences from a perspective of a visually impaired passenger! On 26 December, going to AADI in Green Park from Kishangarh In the morning generally my head is filled with the challenge of getting out of the house, this is a trivial aspect for many but for a visually impaired person it is always a challenge as I need to think of how do I get to the bus stand or auto stand walking alone. The fear is not of falling down or going astray, the fear is of being attacked by stray or street dogs as when they look at a person walking with a white cane then tend to be feared and hence bark and attack, the other ofcourse is of being run down by a zooming vehicle which is not of a major fear to me as I have also walked in the middle of small roads!! Earlier I used to depend on someone to drop me to the auto or bus from home but now I stopped caring about this much and just take off with my white cane!!! Now once overcoming the challenge of this fear I reached the bus stop was helped by a passerby to reach and board the bus number 604 to Chhattarpur, bought my ticket and sat near the window. Was listening to the hustle bustle of the crowd and with the cold wind in Delhi’s winter enjoyed the ride as much as it was warm inside the bus. When the time came to get down someone announced that this was Chhattarpur metro, now the point lingered in my mind I need to find someone to guide me to the metro train as there was no way I could get up there on my own. This was simple, just had to shout for help so in Hindi I asked after getting off the bus, can anyone drop me to the metro? (Bhaiya thoda metro tak choodengy) there was a hand which pulled me and said yes come (chaliyea). This was welcoming and easy I thought! He first held me in my hand trying to pull me but I had to state to him the guiding technique and insist that I hold his elbow and not him holding me. This was good for a start but in between he tried to pull me and hold me but again I had to insist that he will be in front and I will hold his elbow and I am comfortable with this. I had my stick out on my right hand and holding him on the left so that I was confident of being guided! And being safe!!! We passed some stairs and then went across the long passage through. He then dropped me till the security gate and asked me to put off my bag for checking through the x-ray. I was not comfortable as how can I leave my bag with a stranger, so I found a way, I crossed the x-ray check point frisked and gave the security gard my bag so that I am sure I will get it back. This was done. By this time my first philosophical deo had left – guess he was in a hurry. Then I had to ask for help again. “Bhaiya toda metro tak pohanchasakte hai”can you drop me to the metro please. Other gentlemen offered, gentlemen or not I don’t know only stating so for the fact that he offered to drop me – my second philosophical deo! He then guided me through the ticket barricade which was easy as I had a card and then through the stairs. He asked me before taking the steps if I was comfortable taking the escalator and I stated yes and had to tell him that I am a born traveller and have been around the world. We reached the platform and then boarded the train. All the way we were chatting I kind of responding to his quaries, you have the problem since birth, are you working, are you single or married, someone needs to travel with you why are you travelling alone …etc. etc. Now inside the metro I move a side and was offered a seat “something welcoming” was pleasantly listening to the various chatters and the frequent announcements of the metro going off in Hindi and in English. Once green park was announced I moved to the door and walked out. Now again requesting for help (bhaiya toda bahar tak choodengey) brother can you drop me outside. Again, a hand pulls me and now my 3rd philosophical deo for the day comes around I had to go through the ordeal of explaining him the guiding technique and insist that I hold him and not him holding me or pulling me. He guides me through the stairs, ticket barricade and the escalator through towards Gautam nagar. Also again same series of questions. On my request he also offered to drop me at AADI’s gate as he was going the same direction. I thanked him and left walking through the gate into AADI building to meet Pankaj. This story continued for the days I was visiting AADI and meeting number of philosophical duos all along for assistance and guidance and people asking many questions. Life is so simple I think but for the freedom of walking about and the crowd it would not have been simple taking the metro ride!!! How many requests, how many thankyous, how many questions to answer!!! Also get to know more of individuals as I was talking. Someone works in the media, in the travel industry, in as teacher but visiting his folks in Delhi, once some students returning from college and many more. Life goes on as people are ready to give that little bit of help and assistance it is a bit easy if not we would have been in disaster!!! Sometimes wonder if the Delhi metro is really accessable for disabled?

No comments:

Post a Comment